Thursday 31 December 2015

The Last Day of 2015.....

And I'm finding it hard to believe that another year has past. It seems to have flown by but then so much has happened. If anyone had told me this time last year that by New Year's Eve 2015 I would no longer be working, and worse my best and oldest friend would be so ill, I would not have believed them. But if there is one thing I have learned this year is that even when the most scary things happen, we are stronger than we think, we have more support than we realise and we can achieve things we never thought possible.
This time last year I was recovering from a quadruple bypass, and I thought that was the scariest thing, but I've decided that was nothing compared to coping with someone you have been best friends with for nearly 49 years, being diagnosed with cancer. Not only being diagnosed, but being told it's one that has no cure and had it been caught earlier it may have had a better outcome. However the original shock has past and life has taken on a new normal and there are times when we even manage to go and do things like normal and for a while forget about the horrible monster hiding in the wings. 
I have learnt that it's actually good not to have to stick to a routine, to sit down and do something crafty in the middle of the day instead of racing around getting ready to go to work, I've learnt it's ok to get up in the middle of the night and have a cuppa and watch rubbish TV, and oh yes it's ok to be addicted to the American show "Say Yes to The Dress" lol!
In other words I've learnt that you can get used to the "new normal", that it's important to enjoy the moment, to laugh at the crazy things that once would have frustrated the hell out of you, and most of all to appreciate the people in your life, to go the extra mile without complaint and be grateful for every day you can enjoy their company.
So as we enter a new year, lets look around at what we have and resolve that in 2016 we will enjoy the littlest things that make us happy, we will make the most of time with family and friends, we will be more tolerant of strangers because you have no idea what they may have going on in their lives and most of all we will look after each other, because we get one chance to make a difference.
Happy New year and to those friends who have endured bad times and sadness over the past year I'm sending hugs and hope you know you are thought of and are welcome to talk any time. Take care.

No comments: